Wednesday 2 September 2020

After Rosen

The thing is, after you've talked through an exercise in imitating Michael Rosen's poem Chocolate Cake with a Year 6 pupil, the urge to have a go yourself is (like the chocolate cake) irresistible. I'm no poet (so be gentle) but here goes...

Cold Chicken Sandwiches (after Rosen)

I love cold chicken sandwiches
And when I was a kid
I loved them even more

Sometimes we used to mix other things in too
and Mum used to say,
"I can't believe you're going to
put golden syrup on a perfectly good chicken sandwich!"
And then she'd shake her
head, as I did it anyway,
prising the lid off the tin with the
end of a spoon, then twirling the
syrup out and drizzling it all over.
You know how syrup can be
hard to spread, because it sticks to the knife
and there's always that last bit
that you have to lick off - carefully, of course - and then you
can lick your lips
Oh, it's just about perfect
Yeah

We also talked about internalising poetry, and how this is a performance piece. Don't worry though, I'm not going to inflict my performance of Chocolate Cake (or Cold Chicken Sandwiches) on you...

No comments:

Post a Comment