Wednesday, 7 March 2012

I need help bad, man (in which I beg or ask nicely, depending on your viewpoint)

If you're reading this, chances are you already know I have a collection of short stories entitled Dark Steps doing the rounds. It's been out since the middle of last August and since then it has sold alright, I guess, but it's not going to make me rich or help me retire early. And that's okay - getting rich off it wasn't the point. The point of Dark Steps was twofold.

Firstly, just to publish a book. Yes, I know there are those who'll argue that self-publishing isn't really publishing, and they're probably right. But that's okay too. I had more fun making my own book than from reading rejection letters, and I learnt the mechanical process of assembling multi-format ebooks in the process.

Secondly (and here's where I come unstuck), the point of releasing Dark Steps, and pricing it "competitively", was to help build a readership. This is a pretty lofty aim, I know, but I hope to publish a novel-length work later in the year and it would be nice to already have a group of people who know what, and how, I write, just waiting to buy it. Great theory, right... except the number of people who've bought Dark Steps (you're all lovely, by the way) makes for quite a small readership. I'm not going to give specifics here you understand, but at the time of writing we're talking less than 100 people. In short, I need more readers.

So I need your help, please.

Those of you with a blog or website - would you link to this site, or host an ad? (Thanks Millie and Rol, who have already done this). If you would, here's the code:

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?lt1=_blank&amp;bc1=FFFFFF&amp;IS2=1&amp;nou=1&amp;bg1=FFFFFF&amp;fc1=000000&amp;lc1=0000FF&amp;t=waddly-21&amp;o=2&amp;p=8&amp;l=as1&amp;m=amazon&amp;f=ifr&amp;ref=tf_til&amp;asins=B005GQ84CE" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>If you've read the book, would you leave a review on one or more of these outlets? Wherever you have an account would be lovely:

Amazon UK | Amazon US | Lulu | Barnes & Noble | Diesel | Goodreads | iTunes | Kobo | Sony | Smashwords | W H Smith (go on, you don't even need to be registered to leave a review on this last site)

And if you're on Twitter, why not follow me? I'm @MartinWrites, by the way. Follow me, and then occasionally retweet one of my many (and no doubt sometimes annoying) book-related promotional tweets. What's the worst that can happen?

Sad and interesting footnote: "I need help bad, man" was the message allegedly left on Chas Chandler's answerphone by Jimi Hendrix in the hours before his death. Don't worry though - I have no plans to join Jimi any time soon... but I'd still be grateful for your help. Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment